We were very excited to work with Joy of Kosher and use Grow & Behold's, Sara's Spring Chicken to make this recipe as their products are known to be of the highest quality. In addition to being Glatt Kosher, Grow & Behold's birds are pasture raised. As soon as the birds are large enough to be moved outside, they spend their entire lives on grass. They live in spacious, movable pens that are moved each day allowing them to access a growing salad bar of natural food. The birds are also fed a special blend of non-GMO food, which enhances its flavors, giving it a fresh and pure taste. When making this recipe, we highly recommend you to order your chicken from Grow & Behold.
You can also find this recipe on Joy of Kosher's website.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours and 30 minutes
[Kosher for Passover]
1 Whole Chicken (2.5-3.5 lb)
2 cans of Chicken Broth (10.5 oz, each)
1/2 cup of Thyme
1 tablespoon of Crushed Garlic
1/4 cup of olive oil
Pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Place your chicken on a baking rack inside the roasting pan.
3. Pat the chicken dry. Using a pastry brush, generously brush the inside and outside of the chicken with olive oil.
4. Lightly sprinkle pepper inside and outside of the chicken.
5. Thinly slice 1 lemon and place about 4-5 of those slices inside the cavity of the chicken. [The cavity is the hollow space of the chicken].
6. Add 1/4 tablespoon of thyme inside the cavity.
7. Coat the bottom of your roasting pan with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and line with an additional thinly sliced lemon.
8. Using your pastry brush, lightly coat the chicken with crushed garlic.
9. In a large measuring cup squeeze 1 cup of lemon juice. Add 1 can of chicken broth. Mix well.
10. Pour mixture of chicken.
11. Place in the oven for 15 minutes.
12. Lower oven temperature to 250 degrees and cook for 1 hour.
13. Remove the chicken from the over. Take the second can of chicken broth and pour over the chicken.
14. Thinly slice an additional lemon and place on top and around the chicken. Add 1/4 cup of thyme and add on top and around the chicken as well. (you can leave the thyme on the stem if you would like).
15. Place back in the oven for 45 minutes.
16. Remove the chicken from the oven and tightly cover in order that the chicken doesn't dry out. Place back in the oven for an additional 30 minutes.